the hungry duck Sydney restaurants

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Spice I am, Thai, Darlinghurst

Spice I am


300 Victoria St Darlinghurst

I've heard alot of good things about Spice I am so was very eager when a friend suggested to catch up over dinner at Spice I am. There are three locations- there are two casual Spice I am in Surry Hills and the more up market restaurant is on Victoria Street in Darlinghurst. So of course we went to the Darlinghurst one. It was definitely a nice change to get out of the CBD for dinner.

Spice I am was impossible to find, it looks nothing like a thai restaurant from the outside, more like a swanky wine bar. So it was really embarrassing using google maps to find the place when we were literally standing outside the restaurant. The sign doesn't grab your attention (I think they should have done the name in red rather than silver) but eventually we found it :)




The menu was a little pricey but the portions were quite good.

We ordered firstly the Stir fried crispy pork belly wok tossed with red curry paste, green beans, chilli and kaffir lime

The pork belly was nice and crispy and the flavours were good. Not too spicy either.



Yum Hua Plee

Shredded banana flower salad with king prawns, roasted coconut, shallots, chilli, coriander and nam pik pao dressing

The prawns were juicy and tender but I found that the salad was a little too strong. There were just too many different flavours which confused my taste buds.



Massamam Curry

Rich aromatic curry of slow cooked beef eschallot and potato

The massamam curry was good, beef extremely tender and the curry delicious.



Overall the experience was good. I enjoyed the nice surroundings, the swanky chairs and the fancy toilets (with bath towels and even hand lotion) and its a great place to sit around and have a chat. But personally I think the food was lacking that 'ooomph' and didn't really offer anything different to reach the calibre of an up market thai restaurant. Comparing it to Rambutan, the food at rambutan was just so much better and also more creative (ie rambutan in the stir fry) and I think Spice I am was just missing that. The food is good but a little too expensive for what you're getting. Try the Surry Hills restaurant which is on average $10-$15 cheaper for the same dish.



Spice I Am - the Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment